Monday, February 23, 2009

BIG TIME BOO BOO


Last night I had my first heart failure...big time injury with Trey. I have always wondered what I would do and how I would react when I saw a major injury with one of my kids and last night ...unfortunately I found out just what that was like....not fun! I was in the garage working out with my neighbor Vanessa...Trey was riding down the driveway(our driveway is kinda steep) on a little john Deere toddler toy with his feet up. He was playing with Vanessa's daughter Rilee. All of a sudden Vanessa said "Trey is crying...that doesn't sound good!" I was laying face down doing hamstring curls so I jumped up and as I was running down the driveway Trey was walking towards me with blood pouring down the front of him. He saw the blood on his shirt and hands and that really freaked him out even more I think. So what happened? He was riding down the driveway and hit a rock and flipped forward over the car and landed head first in the street. I picked him up and ran him into the house, grabbed a towel and put pressure on his head. It really scared me because his forehead looked indented to me, Vanessa thought so too. I got the bleeding to stop after just a few minutes....apparently the head is the worst when it comes to the amount of bleeding...I'd have to agree with that one. Here's Trey's shirt after the fact....ironically I had put this shirt on him earlier b/c he wanted to paint so I found this old shirt that I didn't care about in case he ruined it with paint.... The best comparison I can think of is it looked like it was pouring out like a chocolate fondue fountain!!! SO SCARY!!! We got Trey cleaned up and put ice on his head and within 30 mins, it looked like he had an egg under his skin! I decided to call the 24 hour nurse hotline on our insurance just to see what their advice was. She had me call my pediatrician who's office was closed obviously and the recording gave me another number to call for medical advice. The nurse called me back and said I should definitely take him to the ER. To make sure he didn't have a skull fracture (since it was initially indented) and to make sure it was properly cleaned out in case there were any rocks in the cuts. So at 8:30 pm, Trey and I were off to TMC's pediatric ER while Javi stayed home with Talan who was already in bed. We spent 5 hours in the ER (which is quite an experience just watching and listening to the crazy people in there) and got home at 1:30 in the morning. Trey didn't have a concussion, didn't need stitches, and there were no rocks in the wounds. He was such a brave little guy...I am so proud of him!!! While we were in the room taking the xray to see if there were any rocks, Trey said the cutest thing to me. He wanted to see the xray after they took it and when I showed him on the computer screen where the radiologist was reading it...he said to me " Why aren't my curls on there?" He is so cute!!! Today his eye looks much worse because his eye is almost swollen completely shut! We had to put band aids on it last night b/c he was so concerned about getting "BLEED" (that's what he calls blood) on his bed sheets and pillow. Thank goodness he is okay...but he gave me the scare that I was dreading...and it breaks my heart to look at this sweet little face!

2 comments:

Elisa said...

Poor little guy! Sure hope he's better soon! Elisa

Elisa said...

Poor little guy! Sure hope he's better soon! Elisa